I have been looking at a lot of Apps for the Itouch. There are a lot of free ones but a lot of those are just mini versions of an app that costs. One I liked was called ABC Maze. it shows a word then the student has to move (by tilting the itouch) the chick to bump into the letters in a maze to make the word. I thought it would be fun for my letter learners ( it says the letter's name as if bumps) as well as my kids woking on words. BUT the lite ( free) version only has 3 words ( frog, horse and duck) very limited!! ABC Shakedown is like flash cards but it will say the letter name, the sound and a the word depending on where you click. If you go to ABCShake down plus( $) you add more words and some games. I like Faces Imake . you make faces using objects like foods, toys, tools... it has a really fun tutorial that encourages creativity and thinking outside the box. I love I-spy Spooky Mansion. but it did cost 99Cents. I like Doodlebuddy for little drawings. I like Poke ( you poke penguins) to practice using the touch screen.( I don't rememer if it was free or 99). I also found a few free or inexpensive books to download. most of the more current books cost almost like real books though.
I have really enjoyed using my itouch since getting it at teh end of May. I use it for weather( weatherbug), dictionary ( dictionary.com), quick lookups( safari), and fun and relaxation( Jumbleline, Trippingfest, Allis Jigsaw, Physics, Flyaway FingerPiano, Shanghai Lite( Mahjong), Tap Tap Revenge 3).
How would i use it on m classroom? well, I am still looking for new apps, but right now I see using it for the following:
1. letter and letter sound practice
2. counting, numeral ID
3. listening to stories
4. use voice memo or other to have students record observations or commnets,
5. research- for example they may use Chirp USA to look at and listen to a variety of birds then tell about their favorite. ( I am looking for other apps like Chirp but about differnet kinds of animals)
I continue to look for new ways to best use the itouches in kinder. I do not want to just use them as flash cards, I want to really use the technology to help my kids learn better.
I hipe that through out the year we will all continue to share what we find.












No comments:
Post a Comment